Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Elections






Elections were held on the 28th of June. Volunteers were told to stay in our homes because of the chaos that could occur. It was very uneventful. It took a week to count the votes and the current PM was reelected by about 1%. Is that it? No. The votes are being recounted still because the opposition does not feel they were counted honestly. I doubt anything will change. The weekend after I went to Tirana again for the 4th of July party put on by the embassy. This year it was in a different venue and was open bar. Awesome. The band only played slow songs which was a bummer and no Elvis impersonator but it was still fun. It was on the 3rd. The pic is of 2 friends and a little boy in a sailor outfit at the party. We went to the clubs that night and I went to get a real American breakfast in the morning. The next day back in Berat, an American at the hostel wanted to have a 4th bbq as well. We made hamburgers and kebabs. There is a pic of us. Just this last weekend I went to visit Aida in Corovode but just before I left I was told that my landlord was sending someone with a couch for me and taking the spare bed. Turns out, there were 2 giant couches that unfold into double beds. My spare room now looks like an extra living room. So Aida and I went to a nearby town to visit the waterfalls. With us came 2 Albanians, 4 tourists and another American. We took the wrong road and never reached the waterfalls, nice view though. Pic included. Lunch was had at a restaurant famous for its lamb, I’ve had better but it was still good. It was nice to also be in Corovode because it is about 10 -15˚ cooler than Berat. This week I am going to a training on safety and security that I went to last year but I am required to go to. At least I get to go to the dentist while I am in Tirana.

No comments: