Thursday, June 25, 2009

Disaster





Four of us girls decided to go to the beach for the weekend. We were going to go to a place called Dhermi where the water is very clear and it is a clean beach without a lot of people. We needed to go to a closer beach on Friday for the night before heading out Saturday morning. We finally got to Vlore (the closer beach) around 5. The pictures are of this beach. As we were leaving the beach to get ready for dinner, Kendra (one of us), stepped off the curb wrong and broke her ankle in 2 places. We spent most of the night in the hospital and Peace Corps staff came and got her in the morning and one of my friends went with her. In all the drama, I lost my phone. I was in another town so I didn’t have my passport to get my phone number back. I didn’t feel like going to the beach anymore so I headed back to Berat. The phone store was already closed and would be closed until Monday. A friend let me borrow her work SIM card until I could get my number back. I lost all of my numbers too.
Sunday, after a very long sleep, I went to check in on my friend’s hostel. The owner was away for the weekend. I checked my email there to find that a Peace Corps volunteer from Ukraine that I had talked to by email a while ago, was coming that day. I don’t normally check my email on the weekends but it was good thing so I could give him my temporary number. He was an older man from San Francisco who had just finished his service and was making his way over land to China. I learned about Peace Corps in Ukraine and was able to share about Albania. He was very nice but I am glad to have my house back.
Work has slowed down drastically and I am mostly on summer break with the students. I am going to work on a summer camp with my site mate. The weather has been strange. We went from winter weather to summer weather and now we have spring. It has been warm and raining. Lots of rain. When it is not raining it is hot and humid. I miss dry heat. Next weekend is elections and I am staying in. In celebration or protest, Albanians have a history of shooting into the sky. I will be in my apartment and watching the news on my TV.

No comments: