Wednesday, March 4, 2009

MUN Conference






Last week something very surprising happened. It snowed. It rarely snows in Berat but I was “lucky” enough to be here. Yes it makes things very nice to look at, but the mud the next was horrible. I am still trying to decide if it was worth it. On Wednesday I took my team of nine students to Tirana for our MUN conference. Representing Croatia, they worked to solve the problems of global warming and human trafficking with 14 other teams (countries). There was also a surprise scenario to be dealt with. A volcanic eruption in Italy caused the Nile to flood and killed over 15000 people and causing everyone else to become refugees in Libya and Sudan. This also caused refugees to be trafficked into Europe. The Security Council had a resolution in 2 hours and the committee (ECOSOC) came to a resolution to solve the problem of trafficking within 3 hours. Wow, those kids are good. Our team didn’t win any prizes but the UN is not about winning. The team had fun and got to party which made them happy. There was a disco and karaoke on the last night and they had a blast. I had fun watching them. I was also a spy. I was Libyan intelligence and feeding false information to teams and to the press. On Friday the team got to go to the Croatian Embassy and meet the ambassador to ask any questions. He was very nice and had sweets and drinks for them as well. Now I don’t know what to do. I have been so busy with this that I don’t have any other plans. I now have time to think about it. The pictures are of the snow in Berat, the team with the ambassador, and the conference.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

congratulations to you. yes, a beautiful, romantic snowfall turns to mud. happy winter.