Monday, October 6, 2008

Moving in Again






Just before I went to the US I moved. I was only in my new place for three days before I left. When I came back to Berat I had more settling in to do. The biggest was to buy silverware. The pics are of my new place minus a half bathroom and storage closet. As you can see it is much larger and nicer. In the winter it will be much colder too. I have extra blankets and have been given advice for my heater. It is electric and I need to be careful because of the bill. Peace Corps only pays for a certain amount. Work. I haven’t started teaching yet. I was going to start observing classes to see where I am needed but other things came up and will start this week, I hope. My counterpart, Fitore, and I are starting two projects. We just turned in our application for Model UN. This year the participants are required to do a community project to promote volunteerism and present it at the conference in February. Debate club probably wont start until next month because Fitore runs it and is doing Model UN training around Albania on the weekends. The second project is a teacher training to be held here in Berat and we will be writing proposals this week. My neighbors have just recently asked for private English classes but I have been warned. Because the teaching salary is low many teachers supplement their income by teaching private classes for a lot of money. If word gets out that I am doing classes for free, I will make many enemies. Some of which are English teachers that I will be working with. Next weekend I will be taking a new volunteer to her site. She is a volunteer from Georgia and will have completed her second training. The Georgian volunteers did not get a chance to do site visits and meet the people they would be working with and are going to their sites blind. I am to be of some support. The one I am taking is going to a town 21/2 hours from Berat and we will be the closest volunteers to her. I have never been to the town so it will be a new experience for me. It was awesome to be home and see my friends and family but it also felt good to come back to Berat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

sweet bidet