Sunday, July 27, 2008

What to do?

I’m finding the Albanian summer not very exciting and a chance for me to do a lot of reading. When the question “What project can I work on?” is posed, the common response is “it’s hot.” We did have a week of rain which cooled the city off drastically but just like the heat, it drove everyone indoors. Many Albanians get to take pushim, which means break, but many only go to the beach for a week. What do they do the rest of the summer? I am working on my cooking skills and finding it a good way to kill time. I made popcorn on the stove for the first time and didn’t burn it. The butter had a funny taste to it so I didn’t use much. I was so proud. My next step will have to be the oven. All guides on the oven dials have been worn off, so there will be a lot of trial and error. I am also having troubles with my washing machine. About 5-6 days after I run it, it leaks a ton of water. Any advise? I am waiting for someone to come look at it, it could take weeks. I was recently asked how the bars are different here compared to America. Albanians don’t drink. During the day you will see boys and men having a beer or two but at night in the bars it is mostly teenagers drinking soda. There is also a limited choice of alcohol and people don’t stay out past 10. I am also speaking for Berat. In Tirana many bars are similar to the US. I haven’t done much lately so there aren’t any pics.

No comments: