So I am getting to know the town a bit more and a major part of the day is set aside for coffee (kafe). You don’t have to drink it but you have to go if you want to know anybody. Everyone knows I am one of the Americans and I get stared at everywhere I go. I was hoping I would get used to it or it would stop but I haven’t and I am told it will never stop.
I have been to the high school to observe classes. The students all stand up when the teacher walks into the room. Too bad the students in the US don’t show the same respect. In one English class there are students that can carry on a conversation with a native speaker and there are students that cannot form a sentence. It will be interesting to see how the teachers deal with this. Also most high school students take about 12 classes at a time and English and French are required.
I have been eating Albanian fast food which is almost like a gyro. Another popular dish is byrek. It is filo dough stuffed with cheese, meat, spinach or leeks usually. I eat a lot of bread and fruit and drink tea with breakfast when they want me to drink warm milk.
I am warming up a bit, there have been a couple sunny days and my group and I try to stay in the sun.
In my free time I am drinking kafe and hanging out with my group studying or playing cards. I am the best in my group at hearts. In my group is Sarah from Oregon, Torran from Minnesota, and Kevin from New Jersey. We all get along well which is nice.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey! I think I had byrek too when I was in Slovenia with a friend. Supposedly it's of Serbian origin but we were told not to say that to a Slovenian (so maybe you shouldn't say that to an Albanian? ;) You could also get it pizza flavored or with meat. And we were told to drink yogurt with it, which was suprisingly refreshing. Is it the same there?
Post a Comment